Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do you see people wearing surgical masks because of swine flu, around where you live?

I don't, thank god. People seem to have common sense where I live. Swine flu is media hype all the way.Do you see people wearing surgical masks because of swine flu, around where you live?
I know! I haven't seen anyone in a mask yet thankfully... and didn't they change the name?





Edit: Yes I read it's the ';2009 H1N1 virus'; that sounds scarier than the swine flu.


I tried to use that excuse to get out of my midterms...didn't work, should've brought the mask.Do you see people wearing surgical masks because of swine flu, around where you live?
I live in Manila where people often wear surgical masks to filter out car pollution and many other respiratory concerns - but I have not seen any more of it lately.





But why do you say swine flu is media hype? This is now a phase 4 transmission (ie people are catching it from people) and cases have been discovered as far away as New Zealand. It has crossed the entire continent of North America with cases in Canada, 5 states of the USA and 19 states of Mexico with as many as 60% of those living at the suspected source being infected.


The situation warrants extreme attention.





http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20090429/twl鈥?/a>
Swine flu is not media hype. It is a fact. However, I agree with what I think you mean to say - that it is being overhyped (primarily by the media).





As for surgical masks, they provide absolutely no protection from breathing in the flu virus! They are best used on people who are infected. They help block oral secretions from being spread due to coughing, sneezing, etc.





The only masks which provide some form of protection from viurses, including the swine flu virus, are HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Airfilter) masks. These type of masks typically filter down to .03 microns - enough to capture the virus within the mask and prevent it from entering an uninfected respiratory tract.





The best prevention technique is frequent hand washing.





Treatment protocol includes the anti-viral medication ';Tamiflu';.





There is no reason for widespread panic. Simple diligence, good hygeine, and common sense will help stamp out the spread of this virus.
Well, I live in San Francisco, CA, and I have only seen one person wear one (MUNI bus driver). Although, there IS a teacher at my high school with the disease, so I technically feel unsafe ^^;





And well, it may seemed very much like a media hype, but it's not bad to be cautious about it, seeing as how it's also flu season too.
Over hyped and overdone....playing on people fears and oh thanks media for freaking everyone out.





Quit comparing this to the Spanish Flu.....that was nearly 100 years ago....Medicine is much better now.





What happened to the big SARS or the Malaria epidemic in the U.S.?? Exactly..... Their gone!!
I haven't seen anyone in my area wearing masks, which I found odd because my state is one of the states with many confirmed cases and many closed schools. I was even in NYC a few days ago and could count on one hand the amount of people I saw wearing masks. I'm kind of surprised, but I'm glad people aren't overreacting.
BARRACUDA! We agree on something AT LAST. Welcome home, buddy. (High five)





I live roughly 30 miles from the border as the crow flies, and not a single surgical mask here. People are just going on about their day. As long as you don't turn on the news, there's no reason to panic.





Sheppard Smith did a great job of being hysterical on Fox News today, but it still didn't sway me.





Hell, last year at this time, it was the West Nile Virus that was going to kill us all.
I live in the Philippines and so far i haven't seen anyone wearing masks because of the flu, not considering those in the airports monitoring temperatures of the passengers and some doctors around airports and hospitals
Why is everyone taking it so seriously?





The 1918 flu (also known as: spanish flu) killed more than 20 million people worldwide in one year:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu





The swine flu might do the same thing.
NO Not Yet at least nothing has Been Confirmed yet, Likely Health Officials Suspect this, But Not Really Something anyone has to wear Right where I live, Stay Vigilante and keep them Handy just In case.


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>
None here, but right now we are drowning (again!).





Some food for thought:





http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/609.htm鈥?/a>





Different flu, same hype.
you wouldn't think it was media hype if you were in NY right now, if anything the media is downplaying it so that the city's don't riot as would happen if they came out and said we are screwed.
Havn't been home. El Segundo no masks. Now Phoenix. Mucho Mexicanos at El Pollo Loco but no masks. maybe I'll get home when this job ends, But they are telling me either Alexander City AL or Hermiston OR after this one.





Millwright work is never done.
i saw people buying masks at the store but haven't seen any with them on. but it wouldn't surprise me if i started to see people wearing them soon
Yeah, I have. I saw some people laughing and talking about them too. I began to wonder if they would be laughing if this thing really did get out of hand.
No in New Zealand people know it is their but everyone who has susspected to have it is locked in doors and ya... so im safe and NZs safe!
Yeah, see lots of people wearing them, mainly Asians for whatever reason
not here either, but there is alot of talk about buying surgical masks and not touching doornobs
Maybe we should purchase stocks on Mask making companies or sell them - just kidding





Washing of the hands is a must though...
Today was the first day I saw a greeter at walmart wearing a mask.
No masks here.
I think it's hype as well. It was avian flu before this, as well as west nile virus, foot and mouth disease, small pox, a resurgence of TB, mad cow disease, etc. Modern medicine is so potent now, I doubt we will see another pandemic. Even if we do, it'll affect the old, children, and adults with compromised immune systems. Healthy adults have little to fear about. Maybe in Mexico and other 3rd world countries with no advanced or accessible medical facilities there is cause for concern, but not here.





Just more media sensationalism to garner ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment